This Sunday will be our first reflection service in our 1 Corinthians series, Seeing Everything Through a New Lens. In place of a sermon, we will be inviting you to stand and testify to how the word of God has been at work in you through this series so far. Paul prayed for and expected the word of God to be “at work.”
And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers. (1 Thessalonians 2:13)
Would you take some time this week to prayerfully reflect on how 1 Corinthians has been at work in your heart and life? You might begin by rereading 1 Corinthians 1-6 to refresh your memory. If you are a note taker, spend some time reading back through your notes. If you missed any Sundays this fall, you could go back and listen to sermons you missed. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you see how God’s word has been at work.
Here are just a few sample questions that might help you reflect.
- How has Christ been exalted in your heart and mind through this letter?
- How has your understanding of the good news of the gospel been enriched or deepened through this letter?
- Has the Holy Spirit been helping you recognize upside-down ways of thinking or revealing upside-down values in your life?
- In what ways have you been able to identify with the Corinthian church?
- What have you heard that you most needed to hear so far?
- How have the first six chapters of 1 Corinthians been leading you to pray for yourself? For our family? For our church?
We are also coming to the end of our Month of Prayer as well as the Thanksgiving holiday. We will also invite you to stand and share how the Holy Spirit has been at work in your prayer life this month.
S0 let’s come prepared to build one another up, Grace. See you Sunday!